Thursday, July 17, 2008

Typical Experience


There are lots of little experiences that happen and you forget to share them with others, but yesterday was interesting enough to post.

When we arrived here the entire house was painted bright white. It starts to get to you since we are used to color and most of our things have not arrived yet, so I decided to paint the kitchen and dining room. Off I went to what I was told was a good paint store. I took my housekeeper (in case I needed a translator) and the boys. It was a small building with paint tubs of different sizes displayed on the floor. I knew the color because I had the code from the swatch.

I ask how much the smallest size was (around a gallon and a half). The response I was told was around $4. I thought that was cheap, but knew I did not want to have to mix paint later fearing it might not match so I asked what the next size up was. (around 4 gallons) I was told $35. I decided to get the larger one. When I went to pay I was told there were no lights. That means no electricity. Common here in Atyrau. I decided to pay and come back after an hour. Next discovery was how much the price changed. The total was now $125. Big difference, but what other choices do I have. Supposedly when you add color the price jumps or did I just get taken to the cleaners? I paid my money, but they did not have change and neither did I. I told them I could bring change back when I came back to pick it up. The change was 7 cents.

As I was buying the paint, the boys were curiously looking around. An older local was talking to them in Kazak and Cameron just looked at him. My housekeeper told the boys that the man was asking what their names are. Cameron told him and then we soon left. I told Cameron in the car that not everyone here understands English so we have to learn another language to communicate better.

When I got home the bug spray man was spraying the house. Back in the states he would spray along the edges of the walls. Not here. The man wore a mask and was spraying the entire floor except for the edges. It must have been strong since he was wearing a mask, but you would think he would be mindful of things in the house such as shoes, furniture, dog bowls, and the boy’s toys. I think you know the answer to that one.

I did get the paint and it is working out well and I will only have the bug man spray the outside next time.

On to the next experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,my Jud
When the local man spoke to Cameron I was surprised that the language did not sound familar to Cameron.I hopr he and Mason can pick it up as fast as they forgot.Have you found the language difficult??Love Auntie

The Offner Adventures said...

Well, Cameron knew Russian and the man was speaking Kazak.

It is not that difficult to get by and least for the little things. People learn quickly if they know there is money involved.