Tuesday, July 8, 2008

More Food Experiences


There are many influences on food in Kazakhstan. It may be from Russia, Turkey, or India to name a few. Most Kazak food is very bland. You never realize how much you miss flavor until it is taken away from you. Luckily some of the spices at the grocery store have English on them, but it is hard to make things when the words are in a different language. Stacey got me this candy bar just for men. You would never see this in the states. At a meat market, I received matches for change. This is a common practice when they do not have small change and since smoking is so cheap and common here it is accepted.

Another change is that customer service does not exist. Instead of getting whatever the customer wants, they just say no and that is it. They will inconvenience you before they are inconvenienced. It seems they are always asking me if I have smaller bills. They say, "melch" which means change. Sometimes I just look back at them and shrug my shoulders as to say this is all I have. Whoever is prepared to wait the longest usually wins.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matches as change? Can't you tell them that you don't smoke and to give you the $ they owe you...that is crazy! I can just see you and the rude person...dont back down...bring out the bear! I love you....cute picture BTW

Anonymous said...

Hey Jud and family..The weather here has been very hot.What is the weather like in Kazakhstan? Do they call is time of year ,summer?How clost to MOSCOW ARE YOU?No one seems to know where Kazakhstan is.I'm up late,can't sleep.Give my love to all.Miss you...your loving Auntie

The Offner Adventures said...

Auntie,

It is summer here too. We are both in the Northern Hemisphere. It is little humidity, but getting up in the upper 90's this week. We are far from Moscow. I would say a 6 hours plane ride. Love you too.

Judson

Anonymous said...

I know my son will be the last one standing in that showdown. That look came through thgenes from Grandmother to Mother to son!!
The family picture is wonderful.
Send more stories.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey! Jud & Family
Thought you would like update on Nanny.One day she wants to stay home the next she wants to move in with me.Kimberly moved out over weekend to a condo,so Nanny could move in with Uncle B and I.If you call her at her house and she doesn't answer she is probably here.I have to rearrange the bedrooms,because the single bed is in the computor room.(old Tot room)
When I can't sleep I get on the computor and Nanny can't get up on my grandparents bed,sooo its back to the garage for that bed.I think this is longer than a comment .Sorry Love you Auntie