Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Reading

There is a great library here that was built about a year ago, but it is always empty. I decided to go check in out after speaking to a friend and see if I can bring more people to it. In the library there is an ACK room which is a special room called the American Corners Kazakhstan. It is an agreement between both governments to promote the USA and the English language. The room is somewhat air-conditioned and has decent a selection of books, magazines, movies, etc. But it is way underutilized. I thought about having the local children come in from camp or wherever would be fun. After much persistence with the director it finally happened.

The day of the BIG reading time, of course the kids were late and we were told that the kids were not coming, but as we were leaving the room they showed up. Their English was limited, so I started out with the boy's favorite book, “Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?” The kids liked saying the words out load when encouraged. I then moved on to a Dr. Suess book called “One Foot Two Foot Red Fish Blue Fish”. It was a little more difficult and I sensed the children we getting restless so I had them stand up and we learned parts of the body. After about 30 minutes, I took a second break to think about what would be next and then I guess they thought it was over so they got up and we took some pictures and they left.

We had a good time and I wish the summer reading would be more consistent, but the director said the kids were finishing camp and that was it. Sometimes you just have to except the way things are here. Maybe next summer will be better and it will take hold.

No comments: