Saturday, June 28, 2008

Food



Obviously the food with be different. From the way it is prepared to the different language that is on the packages. We have not tried anything too far off the beaten path although we did try sushi with our new Australian friends. The main shockers so far are the $5 Pringles, the $180 turkey that weighed 15lbs (there was only 2 in the store), and the $20 small bottle of Teriyaki sauce. The people here live for the day so the shopping carts are small and almost no one fills them up. The government regulates the price of staples such as bread and that is very cheap. Vodka and cigarettes are cheap too. You can get vodka cheaper than water and cigarettes for under a $1.

An experience I had a market recently was a pack of little boys followed us to the car asking for money. The older boy was very persistent. He kept asking even when we got into the car. He wouldn't take no for an answer. He then decided to jump onto the floor board of the SUV and ride along. The local driver tried to use words to get him off the car and him even road with him through the parking lot and onto the main street. Once on the main street the driver would take his seat belt off as if to get out of the car and the boy would jump off and start running away, but as soon as the driver would put his seat belt back on the boy would jump back on the car. This happened 3 times before the boy finally stopped. We were not in fear for ourselves, but for this boy. I don't know if his parents put him up to this or if we was really in need. We are discouraged from doing anything since it will only intensify the situation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do the people look like? how do they dress? take some pictures of them for me. good hygiene?

miss you,
Blair

Anonymous said...

Hey! Jud,
This is Nanny.Its 4th of July,and I'm at Aunties.Remember I told you the 4th was on a long weekend and you could come home.Oh! Well That would be a quick trip now.I will call you later in week.Love to all
Nanny

Anonymous said...

Hi!To All My Offner's
We sure think of you often.I hope all are getting settled in your new home.Nanny was over today,she is so lonely.She has been having a hard time.We are trying to keep her busy.I love your blog.Blair showed me how to responed.I had been doing it wrong.I will try to e-mail more often.Love you a bunch...Auntie

Anonymous said...

Yo what I really want to know is if Stacy is able to find muffins and tubs of butter at a reasonable cost

The Offner Adventures said...

Greg,

You have to make muffins from scratch and I mean all the ingredients. As for tubs of butter, forgetabout it.